Monday, July 11, 2011

Mrs. Leger's Fig Cake

Yesterday, my husband and I did fig preserves.  Although my family loves the preserves on biscuits, toast, etc., our favorite "use" of the preserves is in a recipe called Mrs. Leger's Fig Cake.  I found this recipe in a insert of our local newspaper in 2003 and it quickly became a family favorite.  I thought I would share it here:

Mrs. Leger's Fig Cake
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fig preserves
2 cups flour
1 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven 300 degrees F.  Grease and flour baking dish.  Mix sugar with eggs; add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and butter.  Stir well, adding milk, oil, fig preserves.  Add flour gradually, mixing well with electric mixer for 3 minutes.  Stir in pecans, mix until blended.  Pour into prepared baking dish.  Bake for 1 hour.  Serves 10-12.

Hope you enjoy!! 

5 comments:

  1. I have never made or eaten anything with figs! (Except for Fig Newtons, of course.) What does the cake taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very moist and I guess I would compare it to a prune cake. Although my family does not like a prune cake, but they love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I love figs. I bet this is really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it tastes anythinglike fig newtons, I am in! LOL

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a really great recipe....need to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete